Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SXSW RE-BLAP

OK...so for y'all who didn't know I had the extreme pleasure of going down to good ol' Austin, Texas for the festival known as South By Southwest (or SXSW for us shorthand blogger types). I was actually going down there to work at the Levi's/Fader Fort and thus was unable to attend any daytime showcases (other than the acts I was able to see at the fort). While that was a slight bummer, I did have most of my nights free and was able to see a good amount of the acts I had gone in planning to check out.


(Hudson Mohawke + Olivier Day Soul @ Warp Showcase)

First of all, I just want to say Austin is a mad-house during this week - the streets are blocked off for a good portion of the downtown district and so it has this sort of free-roaming, party atmosphere of a street festival, only it goes on for 4 days +.

(Flying Lotus @ Warp Showcase)

I'm not going to review all the acts I saw individually but will say that I was able to check out Hudson Mohawke + Olivier Day Soul, Eskmo, and Flying Lotus at the Warp Showcase (mindblowing), Zackey Force Funk & Kutmah at Hit & Run's Party, Theophilus London & Neon Indian at Green Label Sound, Daedelus at the Ninja Tune showcase, Lazersword & Debruit @ an official venue, as well as Memory Tapes, Washed Out, Dam Funk (YES!), Nas, Bone Thugs & Mayer Hawthorne at the Fader Fort. There are probably a couple others I'm forgetting, but those are the ones which stood out.

Oh, and I finagled my way into Mad Decent's after party but lost my camera in the process (wamp wamp) leaving me with only pics from Tuesday night.

[INSERT MORE TREASURED MOMENTS CAPTURED ON CAMERA, LOST FOREVER]

Shout out to my F.A.R.M. team homies, we held it di-down, yerrdddddd. Oh can't forget Whataburger too...you helped nourish me on those cold & lonely nights (seriously it was cold a couple of nights).

And here's a video to try & give you just a TASTE of the experience of Flylo's set (the visuals were incredible):




*EDIT* Just got dope footage of Daedelus at the Ninja Tune Showcase via my bud Aaron over @ theXshark. Bass destruction!!!!!!!

3 comments:

radicalAPE said...

whataburger!!! def held us down. had a great time...

Mikey said...

How was that Mad Decent party? Just ok?

spamuelplz said...

it was decent