Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Landscape and Breath-7.31.2004

What up Astro Nauts. Mr. McCronnellman here, in Boston by way of St. Louis. Paul has graciously asked me to take part in this excellent little experiment going on here, and I'm honored to do so. I like a lot of the same music as the Don, but I hope to bring a little more liquid drum and bass, downtempo, and dubstep to the blahg. As always, let me/us know what you're feeling and I/we'll do our best to oblige, although keep in mind that we have to keep it kosher with the copyrights. The economy sucks for everyone, including all the wonderful musicians that get the Astro Nautico treatment, so lets rob banks and use the proceeds to buy these fools' records. Without further ado, the first post...

Not necessarily a banger, but I dare you to not enjoy this. David Phipps and Hunter Brown from Sound Tribe Sector 9 have a live, quasi-ambient downtempo electronica project called Landscape and Breath and of the handful of (recorded) shows they performed, this is my favorite. I guess its some kind of benefit for something heady in Northern California somewhere. Lush, smooth, and often improvised, it obviously references Boards of Canada and Tortoise (both of whom had a huge impact on STS9 circa 2004) but I think its a little more approachable. For those STS9 fans in the house, peep the early versions of Be Pulse and Arigato.
image.

1 comment:

Paul Jones said...

smoothies.. nice one mcrenellmanmanell